Monday, June 23, 2008

Caution- Eternity ahead



I was saddened to read that George Carlin, the comedian, died yesterday. I have, over the years, prayed for his salvation. He was a very angry and vocal atheist, and, as far as I know now, he left this world as one. Here's part of the press release, and then my comments at the end:

By Dean Goodman
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) -

"Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs, dirty words and the demise of humanity, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday. He was 71." In an interview with Reuters in 2001 George said this, "I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas,"

As a kid I really loved George's comedy. In those early days it was still "family friendly," but as he aged his comedy became crude and offensive. I'm sorry to hear that he died.

John wrote these words about men like George, John 3:36 "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

I hope, in his last days, George did come to faith, but if not he faces a sad eternity. It grieves me to think about a life lived without Christ and then an eternity without life.

Life is short, eternity is long. Heaven and hell are real. The bible is true. There is only one way to life and that is faith in Jesus Christ alone. I wish I could have talked to George before he died, it might not have done any good, but I don't want anyone to face eternity without life.

We need to be clear and passionate about this one thing- Caution-Eternity is ahead! Don't enter it without life!



1 comment:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

He was a very angry and vocal atheist

He came across like that to me as well, Mike.