Friday, June 20, 2008

Balance


Balance.....what an interesting word.
The dictionary defines it this way- "A state of equilibrium or parity characterized by cancellation of all forces by equal opposing forces."
I often hear this word used in a discussion about Christian living, "I want to live a balanced Christian life." Other word combinations similar to this still express the same thing- an attempt to balance my Christian life against something else. My good friend, Dave, says there is no such thing as a balanced Christian life. You are either fully committed to Christ and your walk with him or you aren't. You can't balance your Christian life with anything else. All of your life IS your Christian life and everything you do should be affected by your walk with God. To try to live a balanced Christian life is really living a divided life- divided between "being a Christian" and whatever else you want to put on the other side of the scale.
Balance....great for tractors, bad for Christian living.

2 comments:

Brandon and Jenny said...

I was reading in 1 Peter and was really hit and challenged when he says, "But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy"

Holiness is not about balance. And I had to evaluate, do my actions and attitudes demonstrate that command?

Great thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Ouch. That one hit home.