Monday, March 17, 2008

The walk ahead


Some thoughts on a Monday morning.....

I got to go back to church yesterday. It was great to see everyone. I've been recovering from surgery for a couple weeks, and to see people again was great.

I was thinking this morning that the walk ahead of me will be hard. I have 6 months of recovery before I can really begin to walk again, then a lot of rehab. I've been told it will be a year before I'm back to "normal". It seems like a hard walk ahead, but I must cross this bridge...there is no other way to the other side.

I had some great time in the word today, but am not getting a lot out of it. Right now I'm just reading....yes, I always find something new, and grow from my time in the word, but there are times when I read a passage and it "hits a chord" with me. It connects..... I haven't had that for a while.

Yesterday I read Psalm 27 again where David is invited to seek God's face. His reply is "Yes, I want to do that!" Each time I read that I reply with David, "Yes, I want to do that..." But then I think, HOW do I do that? How do I seek God's face? What would that "look" like? I'm working on that, I'll let you know.

This morning I was also reading about Paul & Silas in jail singing hymns after being beaten. I wonder about that. They were beaten, in pain, in jail, it's dark...midnight in fact, and they are singing. I wish I could talk to Paul about that. "How did you do that?" There was a real joy for them in their suffering that came out in song. I haven't been singing much through these last few weeks...I can't sing...but I have been listening to some great worship music, does that count?

One common note that all of my observations point to today is the photo....sometimes our walk with God is difficult. There are days when we wonder how we will ever get to the other side. It seems so impossible, but in my life I am often drawn back to an amazing passage in Proverbs. It's life directions for difficult walks....

Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.
Pro 3:6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.

2 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

I'm having a hard time with my walk these days...I'm planning on writing about it on my blog at some point. Thanks for your transparency and honesty in your struggles. It makes me feel more human. I've always wondered about Paul and Silas singing in jail, too. (It also reminds me of a bluegrass song...ask Joye, she may know it.) I know that I probably would be singing the blues if anything. =-) Maybe Paul was more of an optimist than I am.

Anonymous said...

Life can be tough, no doubt. Sometimes it feels like forever that we are going through a tough time, whether it is a bum foot, a bout of depression, loss of a job, etc...However, life is a short term thing here on earth and we should try to be thankful and appreciative of every breath we take. It is one more opportunity to see your children, give your wife a kiss, watch a sunrise, etc...So when times get tough, try to remember life is fragile and can end at any moment. Perspective is key.