Monday, March 10, 2008

Crossroads


Photo by Martin Liebermann, (C) by http://www.martin-liebermann.de/

It's been 10 days since I had surgery for a crushed heel. I never planned on being here, but here I am. My plans were taking me in another direction. I didn't intend to take this road. I didn't plan on this in my life, but here I am....

I'm reminded of a great verse in Proverbs which talks about this:

Pro 16:9 The mind of man plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps.

And so I find that the Lord has made a turn in my steps....he has changed my direction and added crutches. If I'm wise I will only complain for a moment about the new direction and then quickly seek God's reason for the change- where are we going now? what is the new plan? who am I to meet on this road? why am I here?

God wastes nothing. Even my course change, surgery, recovery time, and all that comes from this has a purpose. One of the amazing stories in the bible is a story told in the book of Acts in which Phillip is taken from a very successful ministry and sent to a desert road leading to Africa to talk to just one man. The change in direction changed this man's life and the history of Ethiopia. But I wonder if Phillip didn't ask, "why am I leaving such a great ministry to talk to just one man?"

So I ask, as anyone would, "Lord, where are we going? What are you doing with me? What do you want me to learn? What's down this new road?" I know his plan is better than mine, but I do wonder where this will all lead. And like Phillip on the desert road, I will go where he sends me even if I don't see what he's doing right now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew there was something I liked about you. A man with a plan. I always know where the final destinatoin is, but where the next foot will fall is somthing else. When I was a young married man I had a lot of plans. Now I have an outline that is less frustrating to change. Mike McM

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

I'm right there with you Friend!
Seems like just when I get an idea of where I am going...God sends an SMS to take a left where I thought I was taking a right!
Back to studying German :-)

Schweers' Mom said...

But those change of plans/steps are still very frustrating to me. Sometimes it's hard for me to stop kicking and screaming long enough to enjoy the new scenery and change of pace.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Mike, that is a very good photo to represent the crossroads in life that the Lord will at times lead one too. I hope you are recovering well, and I am finishing up my PhD revisions.

Russ:)