Thursday, March 13, 2008

Stopping places


Psalm 46:10 "Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at me, your High God, above politics, above everything."

We will all find ourselves at "stopping places" in our lives. I'm at one now. God's stopping places on our walks with him are not punishments. They are times of rest, refreshing, reflection. It's a time to step back from the rush and spend time with God. It's a chance to realign your life with what God wants.....

I don't do well at stop signs....the ones at the corner or the ones God creates. I find myself in such a hurry to go somewhere I often forget to ask God, "where am I going?" This stopping place for me has been hard because I find that I must let other people help me do things. I can't do everything myself. That's hard...to lose independence and mobility is hard. It's an imposed stopping place in my life that has me thinking- Why the stop? What do I need to learn? Where should I go from here? What can I take from this to help others? How should my life change because of this time of rest and reflection?

I know for sure that this time is a life changing event in my life. I don't know yet what parts of me have been changed....that will be revealed as the days ahead unfold, but I am excited to see what God does with me when the light again turns green.

1 comment:

Kris Sorensen said...

Mike,

This is such an excellent way to look at the place that we find ourselves in. There is always something to be learned; God is always busy crafting us and shaping us more fully into His image if we are willing to be molded. I will be praying for you during this time.

Blessings,
Kris