Saturday, November 03, 2007

Looking back


King David did it often- he would look back on his life. It's a wise thing to do at times....to stop and look back at what God has done. I have always been surprised to find that I see his work most clearly in the rear view mirror. Often, as I live in real time, it's hard to see what God is doing. It's when I look back at my life that I see his hand, his direction, his smile, his work.
David usually stopped to look back when he was discouraged, when it looked like his life was over he would stop and reflect on what God had done and know that the God who had cared for him all his life would do it again. I have to do this often....stop and reflect on what God has done in my life. It helps me when I'm down, defeated, or discouraged to reflect on what God has done in my life already. God has cared for me my whole life why would he stop now? With a moment of looking backward I can go forward. Looking back is a lesson David taught us.....use it when you find yourself discouraged, defeated and ready to give up. Here's one of David's times of reflection to encourage you-

Psalm 42:1 For the choir director. A Maskil of the sons of Korah. As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for You, O God.
Psalm 42:2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; When shall I come and appear before God?
Psalm 42:3 My tears have been my food day and night, While they say to me all day long, "Where is your God?"
Psalm 42:4 These things I remember and I pour out my soul within me. For I used to go along with the throng and lead them in procession to the house of God, With the voice of joy and thanksgiving, a multitude keeping festival.
Psalm 42:5 Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him For the help of His presence.
Psalm 42:6 O my God, my soul is in despair within me; Therefore I remember You from the land of the Jordan And the peaks of Hermon, from Mount Mizar.
Psalm 42:7 Deep calls to deep at the sound of Your waterfalls; All Your breakers and Your waves have rolled over me.
Psalm 42:8 The LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime; And His song will be with me in the night, A prayer to the God of my life.
Psalm 42:9 I will say to God my rock, "Why have You forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?"
Psalm 42:10 As a shattering of my bones, my adversaries revile me, While they say to me all day long, "Where is your God?"
Psalm 42:11 Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him, The help of my countenance and my God.

2 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

David usually stopped to look back when he was discouraged, when it looked like his life was over he would stop and reflect on what God had done and know that the God who had cared for him all his life would do it again.

Christians are promised that God is with them and working things towards the greater good (Romans 8:28-30), and in a fallen world this includes good and bad times. It is important to have some understanding of God's progressive plans.

Cheers:)

Mike Messerli said...

Russ,

Great to hear from you. Thanks for the comments. I do enjoy your thoughts both here and on your blogs. thanks.