Friday, November 30, 2007

Running the race

Today, as I read the word, I come to this passage in 1 Cor. 9-
.***
1Co 9:24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win.
1Co 9:25 Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.
1Co 9:26 Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air;
1Co 9:27 but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.
.
As I read this it reminds me again of some basics of the Christian life I need to remember. The problem is that I easily forget them, so I know others do as well. Let me just briefly list the basics of the Christian life (the race)-
.*
1. We are in a race. Obvious? Not to most. But if you know you are in a race it changes how you go through your day, it makes the days more intentional.
2. It's a marathon, not a sprint. The race will be my life...it demands a focus and endurance.
3. There is a prize for the one who runs well!
4. This race, the Christian life, demands self-control. It means I have to say "no" to some things so I can win the race. It's not a punishment, it's wisdom exercised so that I can run well.
5. I must run (live) "in such a way" that I will succeed. That means intentionality. I live and choose and do because of a bigger picture- I'm in a race with a goal in mind- the finish line.
6. This race means that I must discipline myself so that I won't be disqualified. What a word for an athlete...the ultimate embarrassment...disqualified. It's the ultimate shame to prepare for a race, then to not finish, but to be disqualified. The implication? There's rules to this race, there are things to do and things to avoid. If I want to finish the race well I have to make some choices. To be shamed by disqualification is possible.
.
These are just a few things I noticed from the passage. I'm glad Paul used a word picture that I can understand....it makes this very visual for me. A race, a finish line, training, endurance, do's and don'ts, rules, shame possible.....all of it is very clear and understandable to us in the 21st century. Paul is throwing out a challenge and an invitation...run in such a way....
.
One of the things that always keeps me focused is to remember that there is a finish line, there is a tape to break, there is glory or shame to be had....how will I finish the race? My goal and challenge is to finish well, to finish with a smile and joy.....how's your race going?

1 comment:

Fifty Plus said...

Hi Mike
Thanks mate for looking me up.
I have been checking out Russ stuff for quite a while.
I love the title of your blog.
Finishing well. Just yesterday I was chatting with a pastor friend about finishing well. It's been one of my prime concerns over the years as I have watched pastors turn sour and bitter in their latter years. I will be looking you up and having a bit of a read.
Russell. Aussie pastor wanting to finish well.