Friday, June 22, 2007

Dealing with the "dumps"

In my reading today I came to this Psalm. It's always one of my favorites, and I visit here often. It's encouraging to read David's honest testimony about how he felt, and what he did about it. It gives me great help in dealing with my down times- remember what God has done....rehearse his love revealed in my life....it gets my thinking back in line. I encourage you to use David's words to help you when you deal with your own "dump."

Psa 42:5 Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God-- soon I'll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He's my God.
Psa 42:6 When my soul is in the dumps, I rehearse everything I know of you, From Jordan depths to Hermon heights, including Mount Mizar.
Psa 42:7 Chaos calls to chaos, to the tune of whitewater rapids. Your breaking surf, your thundering breakers crash and crush me.
Psa 42:8 Then GOD promises to love me all day, sing songs all through the night! My life is God's prayer.
Psa 42:9 Sometimes I ask God, my rock-solid God, "Why did you let me down? Why am I walking around in tears, harassed by enemies?"
Psa 42:10 They're out for the kill, these tormentors with their obscenities, Taunting day after day, "Where is this God of yours?"
Psa 42:11 Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God-- soon I'll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He's my God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Chaos calls to Chaos"... and I thought David's times might have been more relaxing than ours ;-) !

Thanks for sharing - the Psalms are so encouraging!

Helen