Sunday, December 10, 2006

Giving good directions



I'm reading a book by J. P. Moreland right now, and it has me thinking about the messages I communicate to the world through my life.

One thing that's clear from the bible is that our lives are to be a light to the world, a sign directing them to God. I have been thinking- can people read my sign? Can people see my light? Does it direct them to God, or are they more confused than before they met me?

I am always amused by the Braille signs in elevators. I have wondered, do the blind know where those little signs are? I know it helps them IF they can find it. In the same way does my life look like Braille to those passing by? Does my "sign" (my life) direct people to God?

These questions aren't offered for me to answer. I'm simply suggesting we ask the questions for our own lives. Does my life give light to the blind, the lost, around me? Are the directions on my sign (my life) clear enough to read? Does my life point to God? Am I drawing people to Christ or confusing them?

J. P. Moreland has me thinking....that's all. If you want to know the title it's "Love your God with all your mind." A great book, but very challenging!


Mat 5:15 If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand.
Mat 5:16 Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand--shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.
(The Message)

4 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Thanks for the comments Mike, and I will bookmark your site as well.

Kathy said...

Other odd places for braille signs that make me go "hmmmm?" is in the drive-through ATM at my bank.

susan in fm said...

I've wondered about the same thing, Kathy!

Anonymous said...

I receive encouragement in you your words as they are translated. Thank you