Thursday, November 09, 2017

Never


There are times, if we will listen, when God speaks.  It's never a shout.  At times it sounds like a whisper, a voice that speaks into the moment with clarity that makes you aware this is someone else, this is God.

This morning, as I read the word and worked through several other books I'm reading, these words came clearly to me.  They weren't part of what I was thinking or what I was reading, but they were clear and stopped me.  They were,


"I will never leave you or forsake you."

I grabbed my bible to find that passage. It appears twice, once in Joshua and once in Hebrews.  But the phrase started to tumble in my head over and over.  And with each pass I thought about the days ahead.  The people I know. Others who love God as well.  It became clear to me that these words speak to all of life and bring a comfort no one else can offer. A comfort I badly needed.

When I'm well or when I'm ill he will never leave me or forsake me.

When I'm prosperous or when I can't buy bread he will never leave me or forsake me.

When I have a job or when I'm let go he will never leave me or forsake me.

When my family is healthy and even when one I love dies he will never leave me or forsake me.

When I'm happy or full of fear he will never leave me or forsake me.

When I have friends or stand alone he will never leave me or forsake me.

When you are liked or when you are hated he will never leave me or forsake me.

It seems the more I thought about this the more solidly the mortar of this truth firmed under my feet.  No matter what happens, no matter what my situation he will never leave me or forsake me.

In the moments of the days I live in this gave me a footing I badly needed.  When it seems you have lost things that give you value, identity and security a solid foundation is more important than you realize.  For me today, as my mind swirls around a thousand fears, concerns and worries I'm thrilled to hear him say, "I will never leave you or forsake you."



No comments: