Monday, March 07, 2016

Stuff



One of my greatest enemies is stuff.

The desire for stuff.

The need for stuff.

Having a place to put my stuff.

Knowing what stuff to take when we go somewhere.

Stuff like clothes, computers, phones, cameras, video games, extra shoes, e-readers, books, and a thousand other things.

Our house is full of stuff. 

We have no more room for stuff.

And yet, every day in every media we are told....

...YOU NEED MORE STUFF!

I'm tired of all the stuff.  I wish I could get rid of it all and just have the bare necessities...the things we really need.  A simple life is so appealing right now.  Having all this stuff, paying for all this stuff, finding places for the stuff is overwhelming.

But tomorrow new stuff will be available, stuff I don't know I need yet...and once more the desires are kindled. The ads will tell me that I really need this, I must have that, my life won't be complete without this new stuff.

And so we get more stuff, and when we run out of room we sell our old stuff in a "garage sale" to make room for the new stuff.

Doesn't this all sound crazy?

I know the "Jones" have all the nice stuff, but I'm willing to let them keep it.  More power to them.  We are on a quest for nothing but Christ alone....a quest to know him and live simply.  

Now for the challenge of getting rid of all the stuff.  
Anyone want some?  
We have a bunch!


  

No comments: