Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Fear

Have you ever watched a child experience fear?  With tears, terror and panic they run to a parent for comfort.  Nothing has really changed about their circumstance, but suddenly they are with mom or dad and are comforted by their presence.  Whatever caused the fear is resolved by being with mom, in the arms of dad.  

I thought about that picture as I dealt with fear in the dark hours of this new day.

Fear is a terrifying enemy, an emotion that often comes at the strangest times, for no reason, but when it comes it affects us all the same way.  Like a child we look for someone, something to comfort us.


In the dark of the night I was suddenly awakened by fear.  It was overwhelming, it was irrational.  I know you have had that experience as well, we all have.  In that moment my thoughts raced to the very terrible things that could happen in my life and fear grew.


I'm not sure why this so often happens when we are asleep, when our guard is down, but I hear stories of night terrors, sleepless nights because of some great fear and we all nod as we acknowledge our own experiences.  


Statistics say that 98% of what you fear never happens, but that doesn't keep fear away....it comes anyway and our bodies and minds respond with thoughts of dread and chaos.


So what do we do?  This morning I looked to God's word and found something I had not seen before...it's actually the cure to fear and worry.  I was surprised to see that this response by God is the reason fear can be dealt with and conquered.  


Here is God's solution to fear when it comes....and it will always come....to the end of your days....it does for everyone....but here is God's prescription for dealing with it when it shows up in your life.


"Do not fear or be in dread...for it is the Lord your God who goes with you." -Deut. 31:6


"He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear..." -Deut. 31:8


"I will fear no evil, for you are with me." -Psalms 23:4


"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."  -Isa. 41:10


When fear comes, and it will, the most important thing to know, if you are one of God's children, is that he is with you.  Relax and enjoy the God who handles all our fears....like a child in the lap of its mother, relax, and trust Him. He is with you.


The greatest comfort you will ever have when dealing with fear is the knowledge that God is with you....in fact, that's the very meaning of his name when he came to earth, Immanuel...God with us.  Even his name speaks to his presence in our lives!
"The Lord is your keeper; 
the Lord is your shade on your right hand....
The Lord will keep you from all evil; 
he will keep your life. 
The Lord will keep your going out 
and your coming in 
from this time forth and forevermore." 
-Ps. 121

No comments: