Thursday, November 14, 2013

Working on the main things


It's so easy to get frantic with all we have to do these days.  I'm constantly bombarded by more things than I could possibly do in two lifetimes, so how do I deal with this frantic pace our culture has us all on? How do I focus on the core things, the main things that really matter?

This morning I came to these words in 1 John 3,

And this is his commandment: We must believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as he commanded us. Those who obey God’s commandments remain in fellowship with him, and he with them.

As I read those words it suddenly hit me that these two things are the main things to focus my life upon. If I could just do these two things well the rest would work out!  So what are the implications of these two seemingly simple commands?

First, believe in the name of his son, Jesus Christ. When I believe in something, really believe, I put my full weight and trust in it. That's the invitation of this command. To believe in the name of his son is to put your full weight and trust in him for and about everything!  For me that works out in my eternity, my prayers, my access to God, my trust in his word, my dependence on him for my needs....and on and on.  It means that I really believe all that Jesus said and did putting my full weight on him to be and do what he said he would do!  That's a much bigger task than I realize most of the time.

And second, that simple yet most difficult task- love one another.  If God wanted me to do this why didn't he surround me with lovable people?  Instead, probably like you, I'm surrounded with messed up, goofy, struggling, runny nose people....and he expects me to love them?  YES!  That's my job! That's your job!  

We are given only two things to do and we struggle with both of them!  In just one passage God gives us eternity changing tasks to do, believe in his son and all that means, and love others.  If I can focus my attention on these two things everything else will work out and the frantic madness around me will calm.  If only I could do these two things well!

Lord, help me to really believe in Jesus Christ, your son, and all that means. And help me love others...with all their warts and problems.  Help me to focus my life and time on just these two things and while I do them would you work out everything else?



No comments: