Monday, July 08, 2013

Does God care about me?

There are times when we all think, "Does God see me? Does he listen to my prayers? Does he know what I'm going through?"  Here's his response to that very question from Isaiah 40,
“To whom will you compare me?

    Or who is my equal?” says the Holy One.

Lift up your eyes and look to the heavens:
    Who created all these?
He who brings out the starry host one by one
    and calls forth each of them by name.
Because of his great power and mighty strength,
    not one of them is missing.

Why do you complain, Jacob?  Why do you say, Israel,
“My way is hidden from the Lord;
 my cause is disregarded by my God”??
As I read those words I wondered...how many stars are there anyway?  

If he is the sovereign God, 

if he made all the stars, 

if he has named each one and not one of them is missing,

how many stars are there?  

Here's what I found,

The Hubble Space Telescope site estimates there are hundreds of billions of galaxies in the universe. A recent German super-computer simulation estimates that the number may be as high as 500 billion! Can someone please clarify the accepted educated ballpark figure? Thanks a billion!  

According to astronomers, our Milky Way is an average-sized barred spiral galaxy measuring up to 120,000 light-years across. Our Sun is located about 27,000 light-years from the galactic core in the Orion arm. Astronomers estimate that the Milky Way contains up to 400 billion stars of various sizes and brightness. (JUST IN THE MILKY WAY!)





Ok, so that's 500 billion galaxies.  And let's assume that each has as many stars as our galaxy...some will have more, some less, but let's use 400 billion stars per galaxy. If we multiply the number of galaxies times the number of stars per galaxy here's what we get=2 with 29 zeros behind it.  (That’s a fair guess at the number of stars...I'm sure there are more.)


That's 
200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 
stars!

God made them all, he named them all, and he watches over each one...not one is missing!  

So,

Why do you complain?  Why do you say,
“My way is hidden from the Lord;
 my cause is disregarded by my God”?

How can you say "God isn't listening, he doesn't know about me, he's forgotten me"...whatever the thoughts you may have the response from God is this, "Look up! I made all of this, I named each star and know them each by name, not one of them is missing...don't you think I care more for you than I do for these stars? I see you, I hear you, I know your needs....I'm watching over you...trust me!"


No comments: