Monday, June 17, 2013

God's smile



"Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, 
or with the breadth of his had marked off the heavens?  
Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket 
or weighed the mountains on the scales 
and the hills in a balance?"  -Isaiah 40

We have the great joy of a week in a place I would call a preview to paradise.  It's a glorious escape from the busy lives we live in the city.  Here, for a moment, we get to escape the world and all its pursuits and simply enjoy God's creation.  Around us are beautiful trees, mountains, amazing clouds, birds singing and hidden everywhere are elk, deer and bear.  It's a glorious place.  As I listen and watch and think it makes me more aware of God than I have been in months....he's here!  He's everywhere.  But as we stop our lives for a moment and quiet our souls I am more aware of his presence, his sovereign hand ruling all that goes on around me.  

One of my favorite passages from Psalms is a prayer of David in Psalm 27 where he writes, "My heart says of you, "Seek his face!"  Your face, Lord, I will seek. Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger, you have been my helper.  Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior."  As we enjoy this brief oasis from the world I sense I see him smile.

Stillness all around, birds singing, cool breeze through the trees....how is it that this refreshes us? How does nature give us such peace and life?  I think, at least for me, these places are "thin places".....places where the distance between us and God is very small, very thin.  I can almost hear his voice, see his smile, sense his presence....although I know he's always with me....at least here, as I stop for a moment and celebrate him I think I see him smile. 

No comments: