Tuesday, January 03, 2012

One last thought on forgiveness

On Sunday I spoke about forgiveness. I did my best to deal with a difficult subject with the 30 minutes I had to speak, but there is so much to say....so much more to talk about on this topic. The wounds of our hurts from others run so much deeper than most of us know or realize. The wounds of others scar us, change us, make us deformed in a way....deformed from the way God intended us to be. Many of the wounds are still raw, still sore. The pain lingers and when anyone touches our wounds we scream out in pain. I know that and yet I felt led to talk about forgiveness, but what I knew, and know now even more clearly, is that the pain of unforgiven wounds, wounds that have yet to heal, is much more than anyone can know. They are deep wounds, hurtful wounds, painful and we desperately want the pain to end.

In the last week I've heard a number of other pastors teaching on forgiveness on the radio. I know it's something the Spirit of God is moving us all towards. God wants a church white and spotless, ready for his return, and so we must deal with these wounds, heal these scars, ask forgiveness for what we have done, forgive those who have hurt us. It's time to intentionally pursue healing for all of those who claim the name of Christ. The Bible is clear when it calls us to forgive in the same way we were forgiven. The scars may still be raw, the pain still vivid, the hurts still difficult to live with, but the call of God is for his people to forgive just as we are forgiven by him.

Col. 3:12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

1 comment:

Schweers' Mom said...

I need to listen to your sermon online. I'm thinking about blogging about something that is still painful to me, but haven't gotten brave enough to "put it out there" for public consumption.

Thanks for the encouragement to forgive. It's a divine miracle if you ask me.