Monday, October 03, 2011

Lighting your darkness


Matthew 5:14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

I am the light of the world? Me? How is that possible? How does that work? In a dark world I'm called to illuminate the darkness around me? Illuminate the darkness of other people? Me? How can I do that? How can I bring light to my world?

It's an identity that Jesus gave us. It's a reality that doesn't come by my own power, by my ability to be light...to light my way, my world; but it comes through me, apart from me, powered and supplied by someone else, by Christ himself. It's a light from another source that makes us each a light in our world.

Like everyone around me I have no light in myself, but because of someone else shining through me I find even my life provides light for others so they can find their way. Jesus said, (John 9:5) "While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

At an amazing moment in time Jesus came into my life and saved me, made me new, changed my eternity, but what I didn't know....what most don't know...is that in that moment he made me a lighthouse for the world around me. He came into my life and continued being a light in the world through me! Through you! Through each one who will allow him to shine through them.

In a dark world we are called to do one simple thing- "let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

How? Simply let the light of Christ shine through you, walk in his Spirit, light the way for the world you walk in. It's one of our greatest honors and responsibilities, being a light in a dark world.


No comments: