Thursday, October 20, 2011

Dealing with me


My biggest problem is not my work, other people around me or even the struggles I face. My biggest problem is ME! I live in a world of people all struggling, for the most part, with themselves. It's all these struggling people clashing together that creates the problems we see around us.

Unless I can deal with the me I see in the mirror I can never work though my issues with you. Paul the apostle knew this struggle himself, we all understand the struggle, but he actually articulated his own battle. Here are a few of his thoughts,

"I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God’s law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?"

My biggest problem is ME! I hate that. I want to please God, I want to be who he designed me to be. I want to live as he designed me, but something keeps pulling me down to the base person I was when I first met him. That "me" that causes all my problems, all my anger, my sinful thoughts, my frustrations, irritations, my resentments. All the things that come from that "me".....is not the me God wants me to be. He has created in me a new man, and yet I so easily fall back to that old man. It's so frustrating. I hate it! I so understand Paul's words and struggles. So do you, don't you? We all live with this tug of sin pulling at our hearts, minds and affections, but it's not the end of the story. There is a solution that Paul mentions at the end of his thoughts in this passage. Here's his conclusion,

"Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin."

The truth is that my sinful nature will never improve. I have to deal with that and "walk in the Spirit," the new man God created when I trusted him. My old man, the old me, always wants its way...that won't change...it's my reality. It's yours too. My challenge is to choose to walk in his Spirit and not as the "me" who wants his way. Today I'm struggling with me. Frustrated by the man in my mirror, but I know God has provided a better way.

My next step today is to walk in that new way and thank God for his forgiveness and grace.

This struggle will be ours until we finish this life. It's part of the curse, but the hope we have is the Spirit of God in us that gives us the opportunity to live in a new "me" that pleases God. I remember the story of a young man asking his grandfather when the passions of life ebb. The old saint paused for a moment and then, with 85 years of wisdom, responded, "I don't know, but if they ever do I'll let you know."

Dealing with "me" is my struggle for the day. Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord.

No comments: