Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Simple instructions

I have to admit that I'm a very simple person. I don't think about grand thoughts of glory or have amazing insights into life and eternity. I am just a very simple guy who is trying to follow God and walk with him. I honestly find that most people are just like me, trying to find their way.

This morning, as I read Micah 6, I once more come to these simple instructions,

"He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"

In my simple language I would instruct someone else with these directions, do what's right, be nice and respond rightly to God. It's not all that hard. Life comes down to some very simple instructions. That helps a guy like me.

Jesus repeated these instructions and framed it in an even clearer way. He said "Love God and love each other." That's Micah 6 in its simplest form. Basically scripture tells us to focus on eternal things- God and people. Those are the things, the relationships that will be eternal. Everything else will burn up, rust, rot or be thrown away.

So today, I hope to focus on the eternal things- God and people. I hope to respond to them as Micah describes, do what's right, be nice and walk humbly with God. I'm so glad this is simple. It helps to know how easy this really is. The secret is this- it's not about me, it's about God first and others second. It's a life focused outward, focused not on the frantic scramble for security and stuff, but on people and God.

Simple instructions.....for a simple race, do what's right, be nice and walk humbly with God.

1 comment:

Anita said...

What a wonderful post, Mike. I tend to over-think things; life, relationships; my walk with the Lord. This post is just what I needed to read today. Thanks for sharing it.