Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Burdens

We all have one....at least one. Some are heavier than others. Some have more than others. Some seem to handle them much better than others do. Some are so overwhelmed that they crumble under the load. Each of us has one...at least one that we drag around behind us or carry with us. Each of us has a burden...at least one.

It's clear that this is true because of Jesus' words we will discuss in a moment, but what I see in the lives of people I meet is that we seem to be rather comfortable with our burdens. They may be heavy, they may be hard, but somehow we feel the need to carry them. They give us value, a purpose....a reason to complain. Whatever the burden, and we all have them, Jesus came and offered to take them...no questions asked. The invitation is even grander than that...he offered to "yoke us with us" and pull our loads with us to help us live in a burden saturated world.

Here's his amazing invitation. It's a real invitation that he offers to everyone and yet I meet with people daily who think this offer is too good to be true and so they continue on....under the load...complaining that God must not love them...that he must not care. What more could God do? What more could he offer than to take our burdens and carry them for us? The only requirement? You have to give them to him.

Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

No comments: