Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Observations on history revisited


One of the great advantages of a long plane ride is having time to read. A friend gave me Erwin Lutzer's new book, When a Nation Forgets God. It's an interesting work looking at Hitler and Germany in the 30's and 40's as Hitler's ideology changed a nation. His ideology and propaganda brought the German nation to choices they might have never considered only a few years earlier.

The fascinating obervations Lutzer made were his comparisons with America in our day. Just as Hitler brought Germany to decisions they could never imagined, we are coming to choices we would have never condoned only a decade ago.

This is a challenging book. I will be thinking about Erwin’s words for a while. I would recommend it to anyone wondering where we are going as a country. It will challenge your faith.


2 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

Sounds great! I would love to borrow it if you are willing to lend it....

Mike Messerli said...

yes, of course. how can I get it to you? it's in my office right now....