Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Little annoyances


Yesterday, while I was getting my car inspected, the man helping me called me over to the passenger side of the car to point out a problem...my tire was nearly flat! I really don't like little annoyances. I have things to do, places to go. I don't have time to get a tire fixed, but I know if I don't my little annoyance will become a big one in a place where there is no help.

My tolerance for little annoyances has increased over the years. Maybe it's the fact that I know that little things are just that....little things I have to deal with. It's all just part of life. What made me "crazy" years ago now just makes me sigh. I'm used to little annoyances and I've learned something....these things that annoy me are opportunities for me to respond to God and to other people. When something goes wrong, be it a flat tire or a frustration of a different kind, I wonder what God is doing. Of course these are the trivial annoyances of life, but they aren't without purpose. Why did MY tire pick up that nail instead of the car in front of me? Why does my order at the restaurant come out wrong instead of my wife's? Why is it that at times I wonder if my family name wasn't "Murphy." I think James had it right as God spoke through him,
...
James 1:2-4 Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way. -THE MESSAGE
...
"Not deficient in any way..." Did you see that? In the NIV translation it reads, "that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." Little annoyances are gifts from God to build your faith. Are you letting them do their work or are you irritated that anything would ruin your day? It's funny how the annoyances of life are meant by God to bring about great good in us. Maybe I should be looking at them differently......

5 comments:

The Toneman said...

A wise brother of mine told me that these annoyances are opportunities to trust God... he is a wise man. Love you brother, still awaiting the answer to my coffee invitation.

Schweers' Mom said...

Are you having problems with there being a HUGE lag in time for your blog to post to your FB? I have been doing mine manually because if I wait for it to happen via FB, it can take a couple of days.

Mike Messerli said...

Tony, I replied to your e-mail. Sorry you didn't get it. How about dinner Friday near where we meet? Let me know.

Mike Messerli said...

Lori,

Yes, there is a HUGE lag time. Not sure what is happening. It used to be almost instant, now it's 24 hours or more before the posts are reposted on Facebook. I may need to do what you are doing....it's frustrating.

Enoch Ross said...

Well, none of us would want to have a flat tire on the day you have very important things you need to work on. However, incidents like this happen, and we can’t do anything but to deal with them. People normally get upset when their car tire gets flat too. Instead of whining, it’s better to just fix it, right? I hope that others who run through similar situations have that kind mentality too.