Thursday, February 18, 2010

Focus


Dogs get it! They understand focus. They know what's important and invest all of their effort and attention into what is important to them. They know how to focus! If our dog could speak, and thankfully he can't, he would say, "throw the ball! throw the ball! throw the ball! throw the ball!" He is focused!
...
Most people I know have lost the ability to focus. We are running in a hundred directions all at the same time. We "multi-task". Dogs would laugh at us for our inability to focus. So, what is most important to you? What is there in your life that has your unswerving focus and attention?
...
The apostle Paul had one focus in his life. If you asked he could tell you what his focus was without a moment's hesitation. Here's Paul's focus,
...
Phil. 3:7-11 But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.
...
What was Paul's focus? He wanted to know Christ. You could ask him, "What's most important to you, Paul?" His response would always be the same, "I want to know Christ!" He had his eye on the ball. He was a man focused on one thing and from that focus the world around him was changed because the thing he wanted most he wanted for everyone else as well. His passion became a passion for everyone else to have what he had. The world was changed by one man who was focused.
...
So, if someone asks, "what's most important to you? what are you focused on?" what would you say?
...

No comments: