Friday, September 18, 2009

Warnings


I wish all the warnings of life were this clear. I wish this sign had been posted for me a year and a half ago. Signs like this are funny to us because you can't warn people not to have an accident, they just happen. But scripture does give us warnings we can heed, things we can avoid. The book of Proverbs is full of these kind of warnings and wisdom. It is a book that a grandfather might write to his grandchildren to tell them about the things he has learned in a lifetime, things to watch for, things to avoid. But most ignore the signs anyway because "it won't happen to us"....but when it does our first response is, "I wish I had seen that sign." The signs are everywhere and easy to read. Let me invite you on an odyssey I have been on for quite a while. Each day, first thing, I look at the calendar to see the date and then read that chapter in Proverbs. That way I literally read through the book of Proverbs once a month. It's a great way to become familiar with all the wisdom signs I will need as I go through my days. When you see the signs others have posted you can avoid the falls.

1 comment:

mike said...

That's a great idea. I think I will join you on this odyssey!