Monday, February 23, 2009

Is your God big enough?



I'm surprised at how often I have to ask this question as I talk to people and talk to myself- "Is your God big enough...?" Big enough for your problem, big enough for your need, big enough because you are out of work, big enough because of your situation....is YOUR God big enough?

That should be an easy question, but the truth is that often our words and thoughts tell us and others that our God is small....unable to help us, so we have to take care of it ourselves. I know my own heart, so I can say this with great confidence- most of us worship a god we have created, and not the God who created us! If your God isn't big enough to help then you should be worried! You have a real problem, and it's not simply that you don't have a job, don't have enough money, are sick or have some other problem. You have a problem because your god isn't the right one. The battle of the bible and the battle of the ages is to get men and women to worship the God who is....the God who is able, who is big enough, who can meet your needs...answer your prayers...help you.

Are YOU worshipping the God who created you or have you created one of your own? For me...even as a Christ follower for many years...I have to constantly clean out my "idol closet" and once again worship the God who is...it's the ongoing battle of the human heart. Let me close this by saying there is only one God who is big enough. If your eyes and heart are focused on him then, regardless of the battle ahead, you will be ok.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think part of the problem is that poeple dont come to God with open arms and a blank slate, they come with a list of wants. when we come to him lke that, we are really worshipping our desires more then we are him.

There is nothing wrong with asking God for help of course, but it probably shouldnt be the dominant theme in our prayer life.

jeremiah