Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Turns in the road


I'm sorry I have left you without posting for a bit. It has been most busy here. I have been in hospital the last few days caring for others.
.
They have each had an unexpected turn in the road and life issues arise. Yesterday it was a real health problem for my dad who will be 82 in a few days and today it's for a young man who was badly hurt in a car wreck.
.
These major turns in the road are unexpected, but force us to look at the brevity of life. As the bible says, "we are but a vapor" and are gone when the sun rises. Dealing with life and death issues has been part of my life for more than 37 years now. My first pastorate brought me to a church where I buried 9 of my parishioners in the first year. Those left behind assured me it wasn't because of my sermons. For me death is always right in front of me. I'm keenly aware of its nearness, but I'm also vividly aware of the presence of God at these times. He seems to linger at the turns of life to comfort and encourage us. He's always right there to offer his peace, his comfort, his presence. And sometimes the most important thing I bring to a difficult turn in a person's life is simply my presence....just being there.....listening, caring, praying, loving.
.
Some of the best advice I got in these many years came from a dear saint who had a very difficult life. I asked her how she dealt with all that she had to endure, where did she go in scripture for help, and she told me, "I always go to Psalms. It's my daily friend and constant companion. That's where I find comfort when the road turns." After many years of walking with the Lord I concur. For me the words of David are a daily help in a difficult world. Here is just one of the amazing psalms that encourages me,

Psalm 100- A Psalm for Thanksgiving. Shout joyfully to the LORD, all the earth.
Serve the LORD with gladness; Come before Him with joyful singing.
Know that the LORD Himself is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.
Enter His gates with thanksgiving And His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him, bless His name.
For the LORD is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting And His faithfulness to all generations.

4 comments:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Thank you for serving so many, us included, and helping navigate those turns together. You are a dear friend.

Heidi Day said...

Thank you for your heartfelt and accessible message Sunday. I always enjoy listening to the wisdom you've gained on the journey.

Kris Sorensen said...

Thanks for this encouraging word this evening - I needed it.

Anonymous said...

True words, true words. I too have been dealing with some expected turns in life's path. I will be posting soon as well.