Saturday, May 10, 2008

Reflections on the year so far....


It's been an interesting year so far, and it's not even half over yet!
.
My attention and time have been captured by a crushed heel that has brought pain, surgery, frustration and a growing endurance with difficult things. It's been a year when everything is twice as hard and takes twice as long.
.
It's amazing how all of our attention is taken when a limb is broken, but it is true that everything in us is completely focused on the broken member. It's been a great testing time, but more than that it's been a great learning time.
.
As I'm writing about this I want to mention all the amazing people who have rallied around me to help me do what I cannot. I'm especially blessed to have an amazing wife who has cared for me and helped me through these days. But I also want to mention the amazing friends who have mowed our lawn, climbed on the roof to fix a vent, brought us meals, made a quilt for me, prayed for us, and sent us cards and letters. The list of those who have cared for us is pages long. It's more than I can list here, but I hope you know that I couldn't have gone through this time well without them.
.
Here is what I have learned through these months:
.
- There are no accidents for a child of God.
- You don't have to know why, you wouldn't understand even if you did know.
- How you go through a trial is important.
- There is a lot of scripture on this topic. I didn't know the bible had addressed this so often.
- People watch how you handle a trial, especially if you are a Christian. They are watching to see if your faith is real or not.
- Pain brings depression. It made me very understanding of others who go through the same things. When I compare my few months to those who are disabled for the rest of their lives I'm embarrassed when I complain at all.
- I understand Job's frustrations better than I did before this.
- Patience is an extra blessing from any trial. I wonder how much more I have now?
- I'm less patient with healthy people who whine.
- I am quite aware that God was involved in all of this- finding the right surgeon, getting the right care, etc.
.
There is much more, but these are just a few thoughts on a Saturday afternoon.
.
I look forward to seeing what God does in my life in the days ahead...even with a broken foot....

No comments: