Friday, February 07, 2014

One question

People often tell me, "When I get to heaven I'm going to ask God....."  and what follows is their pressing question, their unanswered prayer, or their pain from when it seemed God wasn't there.  Often it has been, for them, a stumbling block in their walk with God.  Why didn't he answer my prayer? Why did he let my child die? Where was he when......? 

All of those unanswered questions can shake our faith or at least make us wonder about the plan and goodness of God.  And yet,  in the midst of the unanswered question, we know there is an answer, and it nags at us that God has left us with a question mark, an empty place, a doubt.  

Why didn't he?  How could he do that to me?  It's often true, and I hear it, that we blame God for something we actually caused!  Recently I received a note from a lady who told me she was angry with God because she got herpes from sleeping with a man she barely knew.  As I read the note I thought, there are so many things wrong with this...where do I start?  First, why is it God's fault because you chose to disobey him and now are dealing with the results?  How does it become God's job to protect you from your own choices?

But back to the beginning before I get too far away...here is the proposition for the day-  if you could ask God just one question what would it be?  

Post your question in the comment section and let's talk about them together.

No comments: