Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Hush!


“Step out of the traffic! Take a long,
    loving look at me, your High God,
    above politics, above everything.” -Ps. 46

Another translation says it this way, “Be still, and know that I am God!", and yet another says, "SHUT UP, sit down, relax and know that I AM God!"

To discover and know God we must step away from the noise, from the crowd, from the chaos around us and be still both verbally and physically.  We have to still our craziness so his voice can be heard.  He will never scream at you, he will never force you to listen and yet he appeals to us for a relationship, for a visit, for us to trust Him.

For Elijah, he had to travel to the wilderness to find a place where all the noise in his head and fear in his heart could be dealt with and God could be heard...and what did God ask?  He asked the prophet, "What are you doing here?"  

It's a key question for Elijah and for us.  Why are you seeking God?  There are hundreds of answers, but only one would bring the prophet to a place of rest. Finally Elijah said, "I'm here because they all want to kill me and I'm the only faithful man left!"

God was waiting for the man to say, "I'm here to be with you.  I don't know what to do about all that is happening around me, so I just wanted to come and be with you for a bit.  Is that ok?"

And from that visit he could have discovered the God he said he knew, but didn't know at all.  Instead, he resigned from his job and quit!  In the presence of the God of creation he quit!  

And God responds, "You know, you aren't the only one.  I have more than 7,000 others who are still my people.  You were never the only one following me."  

There is much we don't know, can't know that will only be known when we sit with God and simply rest in his presence. You don't have to do anything, be anything, accomplish anything or say anything....just hush and be with him.  In that quiet you will discover the God you claimed you knew.


No comments: