Thursday, October 03, 2013

The best thing.....

It strikes me that as I encounter people and seek to reach them for Christ, as well as simply care about them, there are a number of chasms to cross before we can talk about God or faith.

One way I have found to quickly build bridges is with a simple question.  

It's a question I've worked on for years, but in the last year it has come to its final form and it has been wonderful in the bridges it builds in the life of a total stranger.

Most of us don't realize that everyone you meet is a closet narcissist. We all want to talk about ourselves, but most often no one asks us! And so, this question has become my bridge, my connecting link to the lives of others.  It has been a wonderful blessing and I ask it nearly every day!

Are you ready?  You want to know what it is, don't you?  Ok, write this down and try it....here's my question-  "What's the best thing that ever happened to you?"

No one has refused to answer.  Everyone comes back to me with not just an answer, but their life story!  Why?  Because we all want to be known, to be cared about, we all want someone to notice us and when they do, more often than you would expect, they will "dump the truck".

Let me invite you to do two things, 1. Share your answer to that question here in the comments.  I want to know your story.  And, 2. Ask someone you have just met that question and listen to their life story.  I promise, you won't be able to stop!  You will ask it over and over again because suddenly, surprisingly you will have a host of people who are now friends, people who know you.  

Why?  Because you cared about them!  It's so easy.  It's the most exciting adventure you can have without traveling to Paris!  And, after you have asked the question and seen what happens will you come back here and share the story?


What's the best thing that ever happened to you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best thing that happened to me, now get this... It was also the worst thing that ever happened to me... and that starts the saga...