Thursday, September 22, 2011

Someone worth dying for

There's a new song playing on Christian radio titled, "Someone worth dying for" by MIKESCHAIR. I heard it for the first time this morning. I couldn't believe this song was on the radio! It has to be some of the worse lyrics I have ever heard in a Christian song!

I tried to call the radio station, no luck there. Who is reviewing this stuff? Who is writing this kind of song? Do they read the bible before they write their songs?

Here's part of the song lyrics,

"Yeah I wanna believe, Jesus help me believe that I am someone worth dying for"

Frankly, I have to say, that Jesus will never help you believe such a thing!

Why?

Because it's not true! My worth has nothing to do with why he died. In fact, he died when I was least worthy, completely and totally unworthy. I had no worth to offer for my redemption at all! My worth had nothing to do with Jesus' death. He died because of HIS worth, HIS love, HIS grace and mercy for men and women who deserved none of it. That's the gospel!

Here's the passages that came to mind this morning as I heard this song on a Christian station,

Eph. 2:4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.

Rev. 5:1 Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. 2 And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, “Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?” 3 But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. 4 I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside. 5 Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.”

9 And they sang a new song, saying:

You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased for God
persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.
10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
and they will reign on the earth.”

11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. 12 In a loud voice they were saying:

Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and praise!”

I'm so glad that my salvation has nothing to do with my worth! I'm so glad that another, a worthy one...Jesus Christ....came when I was most unworthy and died for me. Thank you, Lord, that I am not worthy. It makes grace that much more amazing....but that's another song.

No comments: