Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Abounding Grace


God's grace is a big deal to me. It's the most important thing to understand in all that God has provided in Christ. Many, by not understanding it, have resorted to works to please God and frankly God is not at all pleased by that response.

He has provided grace and wants us to live in it, but few understand its implications, even fewer are comfortable with how that is lived out. If you want to know a bit about what God has done and what it means in your life here are Paul's words in Romans 5 about that grace,

15 But the free gift is not like the transgression. For if by the transgression of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many. 16 The gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned; for on the one hand the judgment arose from one transgression resulting in condemnation, but on the other hand the free gift arose from many transgressions resulting in justification. 17 For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.

Abounding grace. That very phrase should make you want to know what that means, what's the implications, why did it need to abound? Grace is one of God's most profound works, and one that few are comfortable with. It means that in Christ God has done all that needs to be done for us to please him. There's nothing more to do to find favor with God. If you have trusted Christ as savior you are his child, his son or daughter and you DO please him. He not only loves you he actually likes you just as you are right now. His grace has abounded above all your need and provided everything required to bring us into relationship with God, to provide forgiveness of sin, to give us security for eternity, to do all that needed to be done so there is nothing left for us to do.

Books have been written on this topic. I know in these few paragraphs I will not satisfy many hearts and minds with answers, there's simply too much to discuss, but there is a reality in our Christian world that needs to be resolved- Do you believe it's all been done or do you believe there's more that you must do? It's one or the other.

I know, as I write this, that many are saying, "Yeah, but...." And here begins the discussion about what I must do. Frankly, to please God there is nothing you can do. All that was needed to please God was done by Christ at the cross. The harsh reality of grace is this- there is NOTHING you can do to please God other than to say "yes" to the grace he has already provided.

Justice says I get what I deserve. Mercy says I don't get what I deserve, but grace says in Christ I get what I don't deserve. In this abounding grace I come to God and find that by simply trusting Christ I please God! That's it. Nothing more to do. Grace says it's all been done already. My response? Worship. Praise. A life that obeys him, but these are all just responses. They merit nothing for my salvation. That's been done. Now, all that I do is respond to grace and in that response I find God's joy.

Many in our culture call this simple idea "cheap grace," but what they don't understand is that it must be this way. If any of my works, my deeds, my performance for God are part of grace it's a statement to the world that what Christ did on the cross wasn't enough. When he said, "it's finished" he just didn't understand. You can't have it both ways. Either he did it all or he didn't. And if he did it all then your only response it to simply say "yes" to his gift and bask in that grace. Abounding grace....abounding far above my need, abounding far above my understanding, grace to do for each of us what we could never do on our own.

Today I joyfully rejoice in God's abounding grace to me!


1 comment:

Brent said...

I always laugh when people use the term "cheap grace." (I once heard a pastor from another denomination say from the pulpit, "People just can't go sliding into heaven on greasy grace.") Sure, the cost to me to receive it is, using their term, "cheap."

However, the cost of our Heavenly Father, the brutal sacrifice of His only begotten Son was far from "cheap." That cost was higher than we can express adequately.

So, it's a matter of who it was "cheap" to...but I feel confident in saying it wasn't "cheap" to God.