Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Cheap grace


John 1:16 From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another.

John 1:17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

Romans 3:24 we are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

I'm a grateful recipient of God grace. I'm also a passionate advocate of God's grace. It's his grace that saved me, but much more than that it is his grace that enables me to live the Christian life. Grace is not just enough to get me into heaven, but it's a bountiful provision for salvation and for life.....even into eternity grace will be unfolded to us as God's great provision for his children.

I must also admit to you that I believe in cheap grace. Many have attached the word "cheap" to grace as a way to demean those who believe that all you have to do to be saved is to believe in Jesus Christ. (See John 3:16!) Even today there are ongoing discussions about what you really need to believe to be saved. It's fascinating to me that there would be a debate over God's rich grace extended to us. It is indeed cheap grace! It cost me nothing and is freely offered to anyone who will believe. It is cheap beyond any understanding of the word....for us. BUT God has paid a very high price to give it to us free of any attachments. You don't need to be good to receive his grace, all you have to do is believe. You don't have to join a church to receive his grace, all you have to do is believe. I could continue these last two sentences in a hundred different ways, but I think you get the idea. The bible clearly teaches cheap grace and I'm glad to be a recipient of this wonderful grace of God.

No comments: