Monday, March 08, 2010

The Grand Invitation


I've been teaching through the book of Hebrews at church. Yesterday, after 10 amazing chapters of theology, we came to what I call "The Grand Invitation." I would like to focus on this first of three invitations in this section of Hebrews 10.
...
Hebrews 10:19 Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.
...
In this amazing passage of just four verses the author extends a grand invitation to the human race. It's the invitation to come into God's presence whenever we wish. Because of Jesus' provision and priesthood we can now do something never heard of before the cross- we can approach God. We have access! Because of what Jesus did for us and it's change in our lives God now extends an invitation to us to come into his presence. But there is much more. We don't approach this holy God with fear and trembling, but with a cleansed conscience, forgiveness of sins, and a new relationship with Him as a son or daughter. The door is open to us, the invitation is extended. Come into his presence anytime you wish and spend time with him, talk to him, just sit there and be in his presence. We can now do something, because of what Christ did, that was never available to anyone before. We can draw near to God.
...
In my own reflections on this passage, as I prepared to teach it, I thought about my own life. Sadly, I get busy with much of life....work, family and serving God, and I do not avail myself of this grand invitation as much as I would like. Yet, God extends the invitation, the door is open, "Come and spend time with me. The door is always open to you. I look forward to spending time with you." God opens the door for anyone to trust Christ as savior, find forgiveness of sins and discover open access to the creator of the universe. I intend to take God up on this invitation much more often than I have in the past.

No comments: