Thursday, March 25, 2010

The artist's signature


Revelation 4:11 "You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."
...
The great claim of the Bible is that there is an eternal being, God by name, who has made EVERYTHING. It's the claim of an artist to his great work, "I made this, I painted this, I created all you see." That's the claim of God in the Bible. In fact, he is even bolder in his claims when he says, "I made it all in 6 days!" Now, there are great discussion about this, but the artist who made it all, the only one there to witness the work, says he did it and finished his art work in record time- 6 days.
...
Science will tell you this cannot be. Clearly we have a disagreement. On one hand is the divine artist and creator claiming the work of art and telling us how he did it. On the other hand is the work of art responding, "No, you didn't make us and you sure didn't do it in 6 days!" And so, I have a decision to make. Do I believe the artist or the work of art itself? Do I trust the only witness or those who are still trying to figure out how it all fits together? The work of art is insistent that no artist painted this amazing work. They tell us this wonderful work of art "just happened...by accident."
...
The artist who painted it all has put his signature on his work. Regardless of the protests of those he created, he still claims to have made it all. I have chosen to believe the artist instead of those he made. It seems clear to me that the artist would know more about his work than the work itself. How can we make this all so complicated when it's really so simple? In response to this short piece some would call me "simple." I would agree. I accept the title "simplistic literalist" willingly. I believe God whatever you call me. I trust the artist. He's never lied to me yet.
...

No comments: