Thursday, October 08, 2009

Thoughts in the early morning


Last night was a great class in the book of Hebrews. I always love teaching because I learn so much. Even after reading through the bible hundreds of times and studying it for more than 45 years I still am finding new things that amaze me. What I'm finding in these later years is more and more about Christ. Someone I thought I had an understanding of is now the person I'm most fascinated with. He is more and more amazing as I go deeper in my faith. Of course, what did I expect....he's God, why wouldn't he be amazing? But I'm wondering...and this is something that my wife and I talked about last night after the class...as we talked about Jesus becoming perfect through suffering. Since he is God, and cannot be more perfect than he is, how did suffering perfect him? What did suffering do in him that made him perfect? Didn't he already understand us and all we go through? All of these questions came up last night and created great discussion. I hope I led us through these questions well, but the deeper I go in thinking about it, the more we discussed it after we got home, the more I realize that this whole discussion has a depth to it that I am not able to plumb yet. I'm more fascinated with this man Jesus than I have ever been. What an amazing savior! So, as I think about the passage in Hebrews 2 describing this amazing and unique person, I realize I simply don't have enough in my wee little brain to understand it all and I'm ok with that. In fact, I'm glad that trying to understand him makes my head hurt. He's simply amazing!

1 comment:

Schweers' Mom said...

I came home last night and told Craig that my mind was twisted inside out trying to comprehend all of these lofty ideas. It reminded me of Systematic theology and the discussion of Christ's peccability. The whole angel discussion is very intriguing to me and one that is not often taught in Christian churches. I have already learned so much in just 2 chapters - I'm blown away by how rich the text is. And humbled by how little I know.

Thanks for your hard work to put the teaching materials together and to teach such difficult concepts!