Sunday, August 30, 2009

Remembering childhood, anticipating eternity


This week I read an article talking about the upcoming 60th birthday of one of my childhood friends, Tweety Bird. Yes, Tweety is 60. I hate having these reminders of my age....you see I'm not far behind him, but I do hope I've held up better.
...
Reminders like this make me quite aware of how fleeting life really is. It passes so quickly and is over far too soon. I still remember my dad telling me, "I know I'm 60 on the outside, but I still feel 20 on the inside." We all have that sense that this life ends before we are ready for the end. There is, in each of us, the knowledge that this is not how it is supposed to be. We were designed to live forever, but sin and the curse has messed that up for now.
...
But there is a day coming when eternity takes over, when time is no more and real life...the life we were meant to live becomes the eternal norm. For the Christian this is our great hope...the hope of our salvation being completed. We only have part of it now, but the rest is coming and when it does we will be amazed! I love the words of Peter in his first book when he writes about this hope. It's the hope of the return of our savior...the one we have put our faith and hope in and the one who will finish the work he began when we believed. It's a wonderful hope for old bones close to 60.
...
1 Peter 1:3-5 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.
...

No comments: