Thursday, October 09, 2008

What's your expiration date?


I am working on a passage of scripture for a message I'm teaching soon, and I began to think....what if we knew when our expiration date was? We put an expiration date on milk and other perishable foods, but what if OUR expiration date was written on us where others could see it? How would that change the way we live? What would we do differently? How would we treat people if we knew their day was today? It's so interesting to me that we are a culture living in denial of our own mortality...often unwilling to deal with the fact that we are only a vapor, a ghost.....here for a moment and then gone. How would you live differently if you knew YOUR expiration date?

Psa 139:16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them.

1 comment:

Schweers' Mom said...

I'm afraid if I knew I would live in total anxiety that I wasn't getting it all done fast enough. And then I would live in utter depression that there's just not enough hours in the day. I think God is amazingly gracious to NOT tell us what the future holds...except His provision (as your next entry states).

Interesting thought...