Friday, April 18, 2008

Dressing up

I'm teaching through the book of Romans at church. It's been a lot of fun for me, but it has been fast paced. We have gone through a chapter a week, so for over an hour we are working through the passages at a rather brisk pace. The truth of it is that you could spend your whole adult life grazing on the book of Romans and not discover all that is in this book. In my personal reading I am in Romans each day. I have done this for quite a while, but never grow tired of it.

In the class this last week we came to chapter 13. It's a difficult passage dealing with our response to government first, and then our relationship with others, but what always makes me stop is the last verse of the chapter. This last short verse has two admonitions in it, both simple by appearance but daunting in reality. Here's the verse-

Rom 13:14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.

It has the flavor of "put on this" and "put off that." It's daunting because I must admit that after all these years I'm still trying to figure out how to wear this wardrobe I'm invited to clothe myself with. What does it look like to put on the Lord Jesus Christ? Obviously we don't do it literally as if we were wearing a costume, it's an invitation to an identity that starts on the inside and is seen on the outside. It's really not a matter of worthiness, but it's an issue of willingness. Am I willing to put on Christ and put off the lusts I have? It's one decision that demands another one....but it's a command that demands intentional action and resolve. I've just been thinking about this verse for a couple days.....I'm going to spend a few more days on it before I move on.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this passage....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

It reminds me how thankful I am for my wife loving God enough to let me know how much better I look and act when God dresses me in love and submission then I do trying to dress myself.

Have a blessed Friday.
Bob

Anonymous said...

My take is this....Within our make up as Christians we have the ability to choose between two opposing sides of ourselves. We are either walking in light or in darknes, either surrendering to truth and righteousness or surrendering to self will and desire. The fruit of the spirit verses in Galatians chapter 5 will give you an indication as to which side you are living by for any given moment. The old Indian proverb says it well..."within us is a raging battle between a black nasty dog and a white loving dog. Which one will win the battle? The one you feed the most.

Anonymous said...

I'm well past your few more days of thinking about this...

I like the intentionality of putting something on and at the same time the metaphor is putting on clothes - an almost mindless choice. We might give some thought as to what we would wear based on where we plan to be. But most of us don't seriously consider not wearing clothes as we go about our day.

There are days when I have forgotten to get dressed. :)The day goes as ridiculously and embarrassingly as that just sounded.