Thursday, October 25, 2007

Life is painful

It's early, but I'm up (as usual) and just read an e-mail from one of our men I have been counseling. His wife divorced him a year ago, and he's still working through it all. It's still very painful for him. He's looking for the rose, but all he's getting right now are thorns.

It's painful. He's lonely, hurting, angry, frustrated and struggling. But what's been great is that he's moving towards God in his walk.....until the e-mail tonight. Tonight he made it clear he has lost hope. Tonight his note told me he doesn't see any chance of reconciliation with his wife. Tonight I read a note from a broken man.


I'm so excited for him! Now, I know you are thinking, "what?" But stay with me for a moment....After all these years I have walked with God and watched the human condition I find that God does his very best work when we have given up all hope. In fact I think he uses thorns to get us to let go! Then he can begin to work. You may have heard the old quote, "I feel much better since I gave up hope." The truth is that we do. When we give up all hope of getting the answer we want then God can work. I'm so excited for my friend because now God will begin to work....but we are at a delicate time in this walk. We are at a time when giving up hope of fixing his marriage could go all the way to giving up hope of walking with God.


Some have walked away from God entirely during these "thorny" times, not understanding they were on the very edge of a miracle. I hope my friend will not do that. It's so hard for us when the painful times come. We can't separate what's happening in a fallen world from God's work, and in our confusion we blame the situation AND God.....giving up on all of it. But those times of pain can be some of the most exciting times of growth in our walk with God if we will let them.....if we will let God work in us. There is a rose at the end of that row of thorns, don't let the pain of the thorn make you miss the blessing of the rose, the blessing God has waiting at the end of the stem.



Jas 1:2 Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides.
Jas 1:3 You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors.
Jas 1:4 So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.
Jas 1:5 If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You'll get his help, and won't be condescended to when you ask for it.
Jas 1:6 Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Thank you for that post. Those verses are exactly what I need in my head these days. It's so hard to remember that we just gotta work through challenges to find out what God's got waiting for us on the other side. We just have to remember to ask him to help us through it.