Saturday, November 28, 2015

My help



Who helps you when things get tough?  

Who is there to help when you are discouraged, depressed, lonely?  

Who helps you when you feel all alone?

I was thinking about this in the night.  As I thought about what I face, what others deal with, the pains of our world; the question came to my mind, "who is my helper? who will help me with the things I face? Who will help those who are broken by their loss?"

And then I remembered Psalm 121:1-2 (listed below).  It struck me that our country, my friends, people around the world are looking for help from man.  If we only get the right leader, the right person to govern, all will be well.....but it won't.  Man cannot help with these things.  Our help, real help, must come from somewhere else and so where do we go?  Who can really help us?  David wrote these words,

“I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help come from? 
My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.” Ps. 121:1-2

I wonder how long it will take me to really get this? To really believe and depend on the only one who can help me?  I still, like so many, look to the wrong places for help.  

It's easy to look to government for help (many in our country think it's the government’s job to care for them.)  

It's easy to trust your company to meet your needs, but that might change tomorrow.

We often look to the wrong things for help, the wrong places....to those who really can't help us at all!

Only one calls himself "my helper" and it's God.  He is my help when I don't know where else to go, when I have no other.  My help comes from God, the one who made heaven and earth.  Why did the author add that commentary to the end of the verse?  Because we need to know he's big enough to help us when we have needs bigger than we are.

My help comes from God, the maker of heaven and earth.  

Where do you go for help when you are overwhelmed?  


Who is your helper?



No comments: