Monday, September 21, 2015

Even in the storm

There is a truth that I am only beginning to understand even after more than 50 years of faith.  It's the truth and scope of God's sovereignty.  There is so much said about it, so much taught that we get overwhelmed with words and debates over what it means for our faith and freedom, but that's not what I'm focused on in my thinking.

I'm dwelling on a God who is ruler and sovereign of everything! Ruler of time, situations that happen to me, life, death, prosperity, lack, family, friends, housing, transportation, ETC!  I'm thinking about a God I can trust with all that happens...the friend with cancer, the child claiming to be an atheist after years of faith, the loss of job, changes in culture, a drug worn son, a wandering daughter, need I go on?

God is in charge!  He rules the affairs of men.  He directs the hearts of rulers as he would direct water.  He is Lord of everything.  Even when bad things happen in my life he's Lord of those too!  

When I fear I'm watching the wind and waves instead of the Lord who is right in front of me.  Here's what that looks like,

Matthew 14:5 And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. 26 But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” and they cried out in fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.”

28 And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” 29 He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out,  “Lord, save me.” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him,  “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”

In the midst of the storm one man felt bold enough to ask the impossible, to walk on water and he did!  But in the storm he got distracted and became afraid.  He forgot where he was and whose he was and began to sink.  In that moment he cried for help and Jesus, who was within arm's length, reached out and caught him.  

It seemed all was lost for Peter, but Jesus was with him on the water, in the storm, there to help, there to take care of him.  Even in our storms God is with us in the midst of it all....sovereign of everything...even the storms.

No comments: