Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Masterpiece

Psalm 138:8The Lord will accomplish what concerns me;

Your lovingkindness, O Lord, is everlasting;

Do not forsake the works of Your hands.

Scripture gives me great hope because it's clear that I'm not done yet.  When I look at who I am after all these years I can easily admit I'm not making much progress, not growing as I wish, not the man I wanted to be....but I'm not the potter....I'm the clay.

I'm a work in progress and the potter will not stop until his work of art is complete.  He has in mind what he wants this piece of clay to look like.  I have no idea what this work of art is to look like....I'm still being molded, but one day he will finish with a smile and declare that his work of art is finished.  I'm that work of art!  But I'm still on the wheel, still being molded, still finding lumps that the potter must work out so the fire will not crack me.  I'm still being formed into the masterpiece the master plans to make.

What thrills me about this little verse in Psalms is that God will not give up on this little piece of clay until his masterpiece is done!  I might not look like much yet, but just wait....just wait till the potter is done....I will be amazing!

Paul writes about this in Ephesians 2 when he says, 

" For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."  

How exciting....not only am I a masterpiece, but I'm a masterpiece with a purpose!  I have things to do that only this little piece of clay, this masterpiece of the potter, can do.  

"The Lord will accomplish what concerns me." In other words he won't quit working in my life until he has finished his masterpiece and signed his work.  I love that artists sign their work.  They want the world to know who made it.  They are proud of what they accomplished.  And like the artists of the world, God says one day he will write his name on me....a finished masterpiece designed by the creator of the universe with works for me to do.  

I'm so encouraged that the great potter plans to make a masterpiece and won't stop until it's done, until I'm done.  I can't wait to be that finished product....that masterpiece that glorifies Him....and even now I pray that he will be glorified in my life....even while I'm still a work in progress.  

God's working in my life, in your life.  Celebrate that today because one day we will say, as we look at our lives and what God has done, "God, you made me a masterpiece!  Thank you!"


No comments: