Saturday, November 03, 2012

Thankful, Day 2


Today I'm thankful for pain.

More than four years ago I fell (my own fault) and crushed my heel.  What followed  was surgery, months of recovery and ongoing pain with each step I take.  Now, without realizing it, I walk with  a slight limp.  Pain does that.  


I'm thankful for pain.  Because of it I know how wonderful it is when it's absent.  Because of it I know when something isn't right.  Because of pain I'm more aware of my mortality.  Pain is God's warning system that always gets my attention.  Pain is a "thorn in the flesh" but it's also a gift that moves me to prayer, to trust, to growth in faith.


James wrote these words to describe the work of pain in our lives, 


"Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow.  So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing." -James 1

Pain has become a close friend and constant companion.  It draws me to prayer, to trust in God, to growth I never imagined I could experience.  If you can avoid it I do recommend it, but if pain becomes your companion use it as an opportunity to grow in faith.

Today I'm thankful for pain.


No comments: