Friday, January 29, 2010

Content

If you want to be content you must deal with the content of your life.
...
Philippians 4:11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
...
For us to be content we must deal with our expectations. What do you expect from life? What do you expect from God? Are you focused on the content of your life to make you content? Does content make you content? Do you need extra resources in your checking account to be at peace? Do you worry when you don't see how things will work out? To be content is a skill learned by changing focus from our content to God's supply. Whether you are content or not should never be determined by the content of your bank account, your house, your refrigerator or your pockets. Content has nothing to do with content.
...
It is, according to Paul, a secret to be learned. It's a change of focus from what I have to who is my supply. Have you heard of "just in time inventory?" It's something that businesses do to cut down their cost. The supplies for the production lines come in just before they are needed. It's a fascinating concept, but implies that as my need draws near my supplies are in route to me to meet the need. It means I must learn a secret- the secret is this: God is my source. He is the master of "just in time inventory." He has the trucks on the way as my needs arise. If I keep my focus on him and not on the content of my bank account I can learn the secret of being content.
...
Do you want to be content? Learn the secret Paul learned- to be content is based on my source, not of my reserves. Content has nothing to do with content.

No comments: