Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Learning to pray


One of the things that I'm still working on, still struggling with, still feeling like I don't do enough is pray. What's so amazing is that the God of the universe, the creator of everything....MY creator, has invited me to come and talk to him anytime I wish and yet I know that I do not avail myself of this most amazing invitation as I should.
...
A man who really knew how to pray was Paul the apostle. Many of his prayers are written in his letters and they are absolutely amazing! Here is his prayer from my reading this morning and then a few thoughts of my own.
...
Eph 3:14-21 For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
...
As I look over Paul's words all I can say is "wow!" What an amazing prayer. What it expresses, what is woven all through the prayer, is this thought- God wants to be part of your life and wants you to have all of his best gifts. From him we get our name, our supply from his riches, his Spirit to live in us, his strength for our inner man, his love, his family, understanding of how great his love really is for us, his desire to fill us with himself, his ability to do more than we could ever think, and his power to make it all happen. And, because these things are all true Paul asks God to provide them for his readers.
...
This prayer, like Paul's other prayers, is amazing and is focused on God's wonderful ability and desire to meet our needs and care for us....if we will only ask. I wonder why I let anything keep me from spending time talking to the God who is able and willing to help me with my life and my problems. I remember a story of one of the saints in centuries past who said, "I have so much to do today the only way I will get it done is to spend an extra hour in prayer." How differently we think today. And yet his invitation stands, a bold one for sure, written by the author of Hebrew-
...
Hebrews 4:16 Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comments. The prayer in Ephesians has been one of my favorites for years and I go there often for encouragement and to bless others by praying it over them.

Steve Weatherford