Monday, August 31, 2009

God, me and sparrows


I know why worship music is so powerful and important...it stays with you and sustains you through difficult days. This photo and the words of friends going through difficult days made me think of this old hymn and its words-
...
Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come, Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home, When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He: His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me; His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
...
I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free, For His eye is on the sparrow, And I know He watches me.
“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear, And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears; Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see; His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me; His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
...
Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise, When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies, I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free; His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me; His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
...

6 comments:

Sue said...

Mike,
This is one of my favorite hymms...the picture you posted fits it perfectly!

Schweers' Mom said...

I agree with Sue - the picture is fantastic. I love this hymn. There are a lot of hymns that give me great comfort and encouragement. I guess because they are like comfort food for my soul - I sang so many of them when I was growing up and still have many memorized.

Brandon and Jenny said...

I do love the hymns. Some of the songs being written today will be the hymns our grandchildren will adore. Isn't that cool?

And I know He watches me. Thanks, brother.

Anna Renee said...

Such a beautiful hymn and picture! I need a bit of encouragement and now that hymn is on my mind. I was just on an atheist blog and was commenting. I feel like Ive just been through mortal combat!! Not because they were mean to me much, but because I need to study Gods Word even more so as to present it correctly as I can. Now Im going to my hymnal! Thanks

Mike Messerli said...

Anna, thanks for your comment. I've have also visited their sites, but remember that they are described at the end of Romans 1 and this is how they will interact with you. They are not kind or gracious, it's not in their nature, so don't get discouraged, just realize who you are talking to. Read Romans 1, especially the descriptions of those who have rejected God at the end of the chapter, and you will better understand why they respond as they do. Thank you for your kind words here, I will be praying for you.

Anna Renee said...

Thanks, Mike. I will reread Romans 1 and may write up something on my blog about it if the spirit moves me.
Blessings