Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Fears in the night hours


The night hours are a wonderful time to sleep and rest. The world comes to a stop and everyone takes a few hours to sleep, to rest, to recover for the next day to come....but there are nights when many of us find ourselves awake...awash in fear and worry of what might happen, what may be coming, what will happen to US! For, you see, fear is a total focus on ME and the fears that arise from what might happen to me. "What if ?....." Surprisingly I find myself at this point tonight....awake with unfounded fears of "what if...." They are dreadful hours when we battle these demons of the mind because there is no resolution, only the fears. Times like this make me go back to a focus on my awesome God. I have to revisit verses that get me thinking clearly again....I have to remember who is in charge.......and it's not me! So here are a few of the verses I go to when the night hours slip away from me....
...

Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.
Pro 3:6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.

...

Php 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
Php 4:7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

...
2Ch 32:7 "Be strong and courageous, do not fear or be dismayed because of the king of Assyria nor because of all the horde that is with him; for the one with us is greater than the one with him.

...

There are many other passages like these in the bible where God literally takes my face in his hands and says to me, "don't look at the problems around you, look at me." And with that one look all my fears and worries evaporate as I look at the face of my creator God who loves me more than I can ever know and has promised to care for me.....so, back to sleep....and fears, be gone....God is in charge!

2 comments:

Mike Messerli said...

My sweet wife, Joye, read this today and told me at lunch that this is almost the same post I wrote a few weeks ago. It is, in fact, nearly the same. I wrote my thoughts this morning, as I was thinking about these things, knowing that many others struggle with fears as well. If they know that a pastor is dealing with these things as well I hope it will encourage them to talk about them and go to God for his help and encouragement. -Mike

Schweers' Mom said...

I was thinking it sounded familiar. It's so hard for me to imagine that you have fears that keep you awake. Thanks for your mini-lesson on Hezekiah today. Good food for thought.