Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What will he do?

Have you ever met someone and know in a few minutes that they have amazing potential? Alexei Chaplits is one of those guys. Alexei was our translator for our time in Crimea. He is Ukrainian and is part of Campus Crusade staff. He has recently returned home after finishing seminary at Trinity near Chicago. Alexei is a great guy, and you can tell he wants to do something with his life.
.............
But I also noticed a bit of frustration in him as well. He's driven, and that also can be an enemy when we are (or feel we are) "trapped" in a position that might be limiting at the moment. The secret in times like this is to simply be faithful, and allow God to promote us. I thought, as he translated for me, "this guy could do this himself....they don't need me." But he served well, and helped me with translation, questions from the class and understanding cultural issues as they related to some of the questions. Alexei is a very promising minister of the gospel....if he doesn't get too frustrated, if he can serve with a contented heart where he is now, if he doesn't get impatient.....if.....
.............
Aren't we all in that place at times? The place called "if". If only we can serve where we are for the moment God can promote us, move us, help us, but there is always an if.
...............
Potential is a funny thing....you can allow God to open the doors for your life and enjoy the odyssey or you can try to push them open yourself. What is God's plan for me? When will I get to use what I have learned? Why don't I get to do that? Why did they put someone else in the position that I can do? What does God want to do with me? What will we do? Will we trust God and rest or try to chart our own course?
.............
I want to keep in touch with Alexei, I will be praying for him, I hope he can rest in God's plans for him......it will be very interesting to see what God does in his life, it will be very interesting to see what Alexei will do.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this quote on my computer:

"I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble." Helen Keller

I think it is always hard to remember God has us in a particular place for His purpose. And therefore, we should always serve mightily.

Cheri said...

God has shown me lately that I have no idea what He is up to most of the time.

If I'm willing to trust that He's up to something even when I can't see it that I will be more content no matter what I'm doing right this minute.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on your friends life...

I'm grateful for your encouragment in my own journey.