Saturday, December 01, 2007

Living in a broken world

This morning I got a call from a crying wife who just found out her husband is having an affair. My heart hurts for people going through such horrible things.
.
This is the part of my job that is the hardest.
.
We are living in such a broken world, and the results of how broken it is are more evident each day. There are days when I feel like a doctor in the emergency room who is dealing with the broken, hurt and dying. There are some situations where I know the patient will "die", but I do the best I can to help them.
.
Sin does that in our lives. It destroys lives. There is often little we can do but comfort those suffering the results of someone's sin.
.
I still remember what one of our men said to me, with tears in his eyes, when we had to announce a sin in our church family, he said, "I hate sin." May I add my voice to that of my friend and say, with a realization of sin's work in my own life, I hate sin. I hate what it does in our lives and in our world. I can't wait for the day when sin, death and the enemy of our souls will be destroyed.
.
Jeremiah wrote these words to describe our condition,
.
Jer 17:9 "The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?
.
I'm so glad that, through faith in Christ, God has dealt with the penalty of sin. I can't wait for the day when he comes to complete our salvation and deals the final death blow to this horrible curse we live with called sin.
.
There is a day coming when.....
.
Rev 22:3 There will no longer be any curse; and the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and His bond-servants will serve Him;
Rev 22:4 they will see His face, and His name will be on their foreheads.
.
There is a day coming when.....
.
Rev 21:4 and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away."
.
I know my friend who called today, with tears in her eyes, looks forward to that day.

3 comments:

Kris Sorensen said...

Add me to the "sin hatters" list.

Schweers' Mom said...

Amen to that one, brother. I look forward to that day, too.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Very meaningful verses in regard to suffering in our world.

Cheers.